James Mylne Summary
Born: 12/May/1981, London, England.
Lives: SW London.
Education: BA degree in Drawing and MA degree, Camberwell College of Arts, London.
Profession: Artist, Fine Drawing. Specializing in photo-realism through the use of ballpoint pens.
Main art portfolio site: jamesmylne.co.uk
Info on ballpoint art: birodrawing.co.uk
Facebook Page: facebook.com/JamesMylneArt
“I began drawing realistic artwork from an early age. Around the age of 14 I realized the benefits of using ballpoint pens over pencil.
From the age of 19 I was selling my ballpoint drawings. Back then I was one of the only people working in this medium worldwide.
At university my tutors were not too keen on my drawings, viewing them just as pretty pictures.
Since then it has grown in popularity and has begun to become a more acceptable medium within the art world.
In the last few years I have expanded on the technique to include other media such as spray paints, markers, inks, and even collage. Also by collaborating with photographers more recently, I have been bringing the worlds of photography, fashion, and art a bit closer together.
Now it’s about allowing a subject matter and underlying commentary to emerge. I’ve outlined where I’m going currently in this regard here.”
- He was recently featured on BBC London news with exhibition coverage and an interview. View on YouTube here.
- James is considered a “pioneer” for the ball-point art movement/medium.
- One drawing can take between 25 – 100 hours to complete. The biggest of his drawings took over 300 hours.
- Being ballpoint pen, you can’t rub out or paint over mistakes. Basically you can’t make a mistake.
- His first solo show at The Conningsby Gallery in 2008 was the first ever exhibition in the UK showing photo realistic ballpoint artworks – possibly Europe. To date he has had 4 public solo exhibitions, the next is currently being prepared, more here.
- Only artist in the world creating art using both ballpoint and spray paints together.
- Worked for Bic (maker of the pens he uses) to create a video of him doing one his artworks that now has had over 700,000 hits on YouTube. See the video here.
- James has collaborated with famous photographers such as Terry o”Neill, Ex Rolling Stones guitarist Bill Wyman, and Roger Eaton.
- His most celebrated artwork is that of Audrey Hepburn, titled “Audrey”. The video showing the making of which is shown below.
More information on Wikipedia’s page for James here.
Below are some images summarizing some press coverage of james Mylne art over recent years:
Interviewed live on BBC Blue Peter. 2012
Expansive online & print coverage for solo show 2012.
Featured video on BBC website. 2012
Artwork shown live on ITV news, London. 2012
Front cover of Addlib magazine. 2011
Front cover on K9 magazine. 2010
Interview & work shown on ITV London Tonight. 2010
Work featured in Artists & Illustrators magazine. 2009